Monday, June 30, 2014

The Piano Man

The City by Dean Koontz comes out tomorrow (July 1st )

Here is the riveting, soul-stirring story of Jonah Kirk, son of an exceptional singer, grandson of a formidable “piano man,” a musical prodigy beginning to explore his own gifts when he crosses a group of extremely dangerous people, with shattering consequences.
no copyright intended


I want to start by saying this was not the type of book I expected. Why? Well for starters I was expecting more action and suspense. Therefore, the beginning did not draw me in the way I hoped. However, towards the end there was a little more action going on and some sadness too. There is a lot of back and forth about Jonah Kirk's life.  I was not fond of this concept,  because I felt it was all over the place. As you might notice, I did not enjoy the novel as much. However, I liked the details and how poetically well written it was. I will share some excerpt below:  

" The street maple, which would be scarlet by October, were green now, and a faint breeze trembled the leaves, so that on the [...] (47)."
             " Birds sang in the trees, crickets chirruped in the grass, bouncy doowop music came [...] (156)."

I do want to share my favorite character which is a very important in the novel her name, Miss Pearl. She is " the soul of the city" and does this for millions of people, but she tell Jonah ( she calls him Ducks) that he is very important to her.

If you like beautifully written novels, history, music, or simply a boy narrator then this is the book for you!