Tuesday, May 6, 2014

I really PUSHed myself to read this book

Let me start off by saying, I know a lot people value and respect this book (Push by Sapphire). I however, had a really hard time liking this book, because of the language. Not only is the book written in urban/slang style, but it is very brutally written. Take these two simple sentences as follows:
"Hmmm,", go fat black heifer and look at me. I don't believe this bitch no teacher.
The book is basically based on an illiterate teenager that has had a very bad childhood.I am aware that this book is written in the point of view of the main character who is illiterate, yet I still did not like it. She is writing from her thoughts and what seems to be her journal.  In the book you get to understand what is going on in Precious's head and the stuggles she faces. If you want to read this book for fun I don't recommend.Although, if you want to read a disturbing story about a young woman then sure pick up. Why not it is an easy read?
 PS- In 2009 the book became a movie called, "Precious" which became a hit here is the Lionsgate Trailer: