Friday, February 14, 2014

Hear Me Cry

I am going talk about Roll of Thunder,Hear my Cry by Mildred D.Taylor to be honest this is reallllyyy old book. However, I got it used and torn for a year or more saying I was going to read it and never did. Sorry to say, but the book cover was one to catch my eye if I am not mistaken in cover we have Little Man, Cassie, and Christopher. The cover seem to be about the last part of the book where their cotton is burning. This book was written based on the 1930s when whites still saw black people as someone less. Therefore, this book was heavily based on racial matters. Some excerpt below :

"Everybody born on this earth is something and nobody, no matter what color,is better than anybody else."
         " You have to demand respect in this world, ain't nobody just gonnna hand it to you" 

I choose these two quote, because even if this book is mostly talking how whites at the time treat black people wrongly. It  is also strongly a book that also mentions respect for anyone especially within the family. I think this is why I really enjoyed the book because, the Logans were a very strong family. What I strongly liked was that the book was voiced by Cassie a nine year old who was very mature for her age, but mostly because she faced a lot of obstacles through the book. 

The end of the book was very sad, I do think this book is a good read!