Saturday, February 1, 2014

What a Disgrace!

I want start off saying I really enjoyed J.M.Coetzee writing style. His writing  very straight forward and has an old fashion style which I highly enjoyed.  Coetzee seems to be writing in third person point of view such as "The Great Gatsby", however, it is like you hear David's inner thought who is the main character vs the actually narrator. This is just my opinion. In the beginning of the book David in my eyes was this crazy professor obsess with sex, but a lost soul. Even through in the whole book he actually seem very promised by who he is regardless of his wrong doing. This later leaves him to live with Lucy, his daughter who he really doesn't know at all. A lot of horrible events happen in the novel which I won't mention, because I actually think this is a book worth reading. Toward the end he moves back to his town, but Karma has bite him in the ass. His too old to have learned from his wrong doing, but now has to live by it in disgrace. My reason for my disappointment in this book is towards the end, because even though he learns to live with what occur to his daughter and him he gives up. I also really disliked being confused towards the end when he brings up characters that we have not read about. I am reviewing this novel based on the story not the political side.       

PS- There is a  movie based on this book, I have not seen it. Maybe someday....